Cam High says good-bye to Principal Glenn Lipman

Photo by: Rhiannan Ruef

Mr. Lipman shaking hands with a student as he or she leaves the campus, something he has done regularly in the past ten years.

Principal Glenn Lipman officially announced to the student body during period four on Monday, June 1, that he will be retiring as of June 30, 2015.

He said he enjoyed being principal and as one of his last acts as principal, humorously allowed all students to wear any kind of baseball cap to school for the remainder of the year, a reprieve from his previously strict prohibition of any kind of hat besides the Camarillo cap.

His announcement was met with many mixed feelings in students and faculty.

Fellow administrators, who worked the closest to Lipman, were among the first affected by this decision. “I would like to say one thing to him,” said Mrs. Alexis Ortiz, associate principal of Cam High. “Haere mai, haere mai. It’s all about the people.” Ortiz stated it is possible that she will apply for Lipman’s soon-to-be vacant position next year.

“He’s [been] a good leader,” said Dr. Kim Stephenson, associate principal. “As a human being, we relate really well. He’s a family guy.” Stephenson later said, “I support his decision. It sounds like the right decision for him and his family.”

Lipman said he looks forward to being around his loved ones more often. “I am retiring now because it’s time to move on to other phases of my life, like spending time with my family.” He has three grandchildren and also anticipates the new Star Wars movie that is coming out in December.

Current assistant OUHSD superintendent and long time colleague of Lipman, Dr. Robert Valles was also aware of the retirement and recalled their shared beginnings. “Mr. Lipman and our other veteran assistant principal at the time, Mrs. Covert, provided me with lots of support during my transition from classroom teacher to administrator.” said Valles. “Without their support, it would have been much more overwhelming than it was.

Many students were also emotional about Lipman’s departure. “I’m going to miss him, [even though] I’m not really going to be here to see the reciprocation of [his retirement],” said Chase Templeton, senior. “But he was a good principal, and good for the school.”

“He’s not afraid to push us to the to the max,” said Tiara Sivells, junior. “Especially with our API scores, back when we still had them.”

Multiple students recall many of Lipman’s speeches, at rallies and other school events. “I liked his ‘ten or twenty-three’ speech […] those were some inspiring words.” said Sandra Sosa, junior. “[But] after so many years of having him as our principal, it’s time for a change. ”

In addition to many positive comments about Lipman, some also voiced their disapproval about some of his policies. “Mr. Lipman’s rules were mostly okay,” said MJ Caulfield, junior. “The [rules] that were morally unstable, like the zero-tolerance policy, were not enforced”

“I didn’t like how he handled some stuff, but I liked how he handled the school overall,” said Evan Lang, junior. “I hope he had a fantastic time here at Cam High.”

Among the gratitude and farewell comments, some students showed concern for the incoming administration. “I hope whoever our new principal is doesn’t institute any ridiculous or unnecessary rules,” said Caulfield.

Lipman said he made many memories and truly enjoyed his years at Cam High. “I like working with highly motivated students. The staff has a passion for success. The parents are very supportive of the educational process and that makes for a good school.”

Lipman said some of his favorite memories at Cam High were the academic ceremonies because he enjoyed seeing students receive awards, as well as watching the rallies and athletic events. “I’ve had a pie thrown at me, I’ve kissed a cow, I jumped in a pool, and I got ice thrown at me,” he said.

Before being principal at Cam High, Lipman was a United States history teacher from 1978-1988 at Royal High School in Simi Valley. His passion for the past has led him to make plans to travel and see historical monuments both in the United States and Europe.

Lipman wanted to become principal at Cam High in order to make a positive difference in students, staff, and parents. After becoming so attached to this school, he feels sentimental about leaving a place he dedicated his efforts towards every single day. “It’s hard to leave. The success of Cam High has been a passion of mine. It’s tough to shut my mind off.”

Even with his permanent absence at Cam High, Lipman expects much from students in both academics and in athletics. “I hope more kids qualify for UC A through G requirements. I hope that more students take AP tests. We’re around about 1500 AP tests.” He wishes for 2000 AP tests to be taken by students someday and for Cam High to offer more AP classes. Lipman would also like to see more CIF championships. From teachers, he hopes to see more collaboration between one another.

“I hope that the incoming administration retains the emphasis on academics that Mr. Lipman has established,” said Arielle Mendoza, junior.

There will be a retirement party for Lipman at Spanish Hills on June 12, among his colleagues and past co-workers.