Students Adjustment to New In-Person Schedule

Cam High has officially started in-person schooling as of the 2021-2022 school year. Along with this new year, was the implementation of the new Cam High schedule. Consequently, students are adjusting to the new in-person school year.

The new hybrid-block schedule consists of two normal days, followed by two block days, and a late start Friday. This transition to the new hybrid-block schedule took time to adjust to, and while some Cam High students adjusted accordingly, others struggled. Cam High Senior, Albert DueƱas, was already familiar with it due to his previous experience with a block-oriented schedule: “My middle school had a block schedule every day so I’m pretty used to this type of schedule.” However, Duenas has a hard time with the long periods, “[he didn’t] prefer this new schedule because the classes are a bit long on the block days.”

Although many students are excited about this new schedule, many dislike the schedule and prefer the traditional schedule. This often applies to the current seniors and juniors, while the sophomore and freshmen are new to the campus, and consequently are not familiar with the old schedule. The old schedule consisted of four days of regular schedule and a Thursday collaborative schedule. The regular schedule started at 7:55 a.m. and ended at 2:59 p.m. and had 56 minute periods, while the Thursday collaborative schedule started at 7:55 a.m. and ended at 1:49 p.m. with 45 minute periods. Cam High Senior, Bong Geluz, had a couple of problems with this schedule, claiming to “struggle to wake up because of [his[ sleep schedule of waking up later on regular days rather than 8:30” on Thursdays.

Cam High’s students have been adjusting to in-person schooling for a month now, and some challenges for individual students have been brought to light, including the delay in issuing students their lockers and correcting the bells for each period according to the new schedule. The delay on the lockers was the result of the repainting of every locker. This delay was something many students found troublesome since the majority of the students use their locker to lessen the amount of books they constantly carry with them through their time on campus.

Cam High Senior, Andreck Orendain, shared his difficulties stating “I was stuck carrying all of my books and notebooks for the entire day.” This delay ultimately took three days, during which students had no access to lockers. For the first week of school, the bells that were supposed to ring either did not work or worked with the incorrect schedule. This created confusion on when periods ended, which caused students to be late. Orendain said that, “There was little to no communication to what was going on,” confusing him during the first week back in person.

Despite the unpredictable start Cam High has had during its first weeks, students and staff are adjusting accordingly and are satisfied with the start to the 2021-2022 school year.