Coronavirus Impacts Cam High and Local Schools

With+1+confirmed+case+and+2+presumptive+positive+cases+of+the+novel+coronavirus+%28COVID-19%29+in+Ventura+County%2C+health+officials+are+taking+precautionary+measures.+

CNN

With 1 confirmed case and 2 presumptive positive cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Ventura County, health officials are taking precautionary measures.

Wash your hands. Wipe the desks. Get a case of water from your local grocery store. Almost all U.S. citizens are taking precautions to combat transmission of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), including Ventura County, where schools and local events have been put on hold for the time being.

In Ventura County, there have been three cases diagnosed. All three cases are related to travel to foreign countries. A story from the VC Star News said, “A Ventura County resident returning from a trip to Italy tested positive for COVID-19,  becoming the second case of the virus reported in Ventura County.” California now has 198 confirmed cases of the virus. Nationwide, there are over 2000 cases, prompting President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency for the coronavirus on March 13 to free up money to be used for testing and treatment.

Cam High is taking precautions in the classroom to prevent the spread of the virus. Principal Mr. La Belle said, “Every hard surface in the district is being wiped down every night including objects outside even the tables out in the picnic area. We have hand sanitizers coming per classroom and wipes. We are looking at different events that could and/or should be cancelled. These are things we are continuously looking at.”

On Friday, March 13, Cam High announced that school would be closed from March 16-March 20 due to the Health Department’s decision to close public schools. Parents and guardians were notified about the recent changes through emails and phone calls. The district will continue to keep the public posted in the event of additional cancellations in addition to the first week of cancellation.

At Cam High, students took a survey last week to let staff know who does and does not have access to the internet or a computer at home. The staff were concerned about internet access in case students need to begin continuing instruction online. However, teachers were alerted in an email from Oxnard Union High School District (OUHSD) Superintendent Ms. Penelope DeLeon that they were no longer allowed to assign work or instruction while school is out of session.

Coronavirus has affected all after-school activities, including sports, clubs, and senior activities. School Librarian Ms. Heidi Resnik said, “Senior activities will be postponed until further notice and Scorpion Connect will keep all students updated.” Regarding grad night, Scorpion Connect has announced to students that the event may be postponed or moved to a later date. Disneyland has temporarily closed, however it’s unclear for how long.

Sports practices and competitions are also on hold. Mr. John Gonzalez, boy’s baseball coach and science teacher, said, “As of right now we are cut off for the season… You know it’s sad for some of these boys who have given up lots of their time and lost some games but we have to handle the situation at hand and deal with the decision the health department has made to keep us safe… But I will not ask the boys to practice extra on the break.”

Other schools such as Buena Ventura High School and Ventura High school are shutdown for multiple weeks until further notice from their health department.