Celebrating Dia De Los Muertos at Cam High

Cam High will be celebrating Dia De Los Muertos (or the Day of the Dead), a historical Mexican holiday on Nov. 1 with food, alters and other activities.

Dia De Los Muertos is a historical holiday that is a part of Mexican Heritage. This holiday has been celebrated for almost 2,500 to 3,000 years, dating back to pre-Columbian days.

Dia De Los Muertos begins on Thursday, Oct. 31 and continues through Saturday, Nov. 2. To celebrate, families normally create altars decorated with pictures, flowers (typically orange marigolds), fruit, papel picado, food, etc. Families will prepare dishes for their loved ones who have passed on in order to entice their spirits to visit. 

Various staff members, including Spanish teachers Mr. Pascual Campos and Ms. Anna Soberanis and English teacher Ms. Lori Pristeria, are working to plan this event. Students will be displaying ofrenda de muertos (customizable offerings to the dead) that will have all the traditional elements of an altar. Students will create these ofrendas in their participating Spanish classes. 

Campos enjoys celebrating Dia De Los Muertos because he sees it as a way to keep his departed family members and friends together and be with his loved ones again. “As long as you keep your loved ones in your mind and in your heart they will never really be gone,” said Campos. 

Soberanis, who started this new celebration at Cam High, creates her own altar at home. She is hoping to strengthen Cam High’s community and allow participating students to present their creative talents. Soberanis also wants to help everyone at Cam High enjoy this unique holiday. Soberanis said, “Dia De Los Muertos is all about taking a moment to honor someone who has passed away and to remember them in a very loving way.”

Angelica Ramos, senior and Spanish 4 AP student, is celebrating this year’s Dia De Los Muertos by spending time with her grandparents and putting up Mexican marigold flowers to help lead her loved ones back home. In addition to Mexican marigold flowers, her family also preapres the deceased’s favorite food and places it on the altar. Angelica said, “The Day of the Dead makes me feel more connected to my family and my deceased ones.”

These ofrendas will be available for viewing around the school by the B-wing and in the library.