Cam High to Change the Annual Fourth of July Celebration Due to Construction

Cam High's Fourth of July celebration will continue this year, despite work being done to the field.

Air Combat Command by Staff Sergeant Christopher L. Ingersoll

Molly Honnef, Staff Writer

Cam High’s stadium will be under construction shortly after the Fourth of July celebrations as turf and modernized entrances into the school are being installed.

In addition to Cam High, many other schools in the Oxnard Union High School District are getting new entrances around their stadiums. Cam High’s new entrances will be placed by the baseball fields, at the top of the stadium, and by the lower snack bar. Each entrance will include two gates, an updated ticket booth, and tributes to Adolfo Camarillo — that will mark key dates in Camarillo’s life. These gates will allow the school to be more secure, according to Cam High’s Principal Dr. Kim Stephenson.

Other possible updates that will begin this summer are a new set of away bleachers, a redone snack bar, and bathrooms near the baseball field as well as updated PA, lighting, plumbing, and drainage systems for the stadium.

Both the turf and the new entrances will be installed after the Fourth of July to allow the celebrations at Cam High to still occur this summer. However, a few changes will be made to the event.

As a result of the upcoming construction project, the event will be much smaller and will begin at a later time than usual, 7 P.M.; but the fireworks show will still begin at 9 P.M.

This year, there will be no seating or standing area available on the football field, track, or practice field. Attendees will sit in the home bleachers. In addition, according to Kathy Talley of the Camarillo City Manager’s Office, guests are not allowed to bring ice chests, EZ-ups, chairs, large strollers, or wagons. However, blankets and seat cushions are still permitted. There will be no food trucks at the event, but packaged snacks and beverages will be sold at the snack bar by the Pleasant Valley Lions Club. Also, there will be a DJ playing family-friendly music.

Admittance into the event is now free, instead of the usual $2 charge, and free shuttles will be transporting people from the Metrolink Station or Technicolor parking lots.

For more information about the Fourth of July event, see the event flyer on the City of Camarillo’s website.

Molly Honnef, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Molly, and this is my first year writing for The Stinger. I am a junior, and I play varsity tennis for Cam High. I also love volunteering through...