Cam High’s Staff Discusses Switching to Block Schedule Next Year

Ian Lattimer

This schedule shows an example of a block schedule. On day “A”, students would have periods 1, 3, 5. On day “B”, students would have periods 2, 4, 6.

Recently, Cam High’s faculty has discussed the possibility of adopting a block schedule for the 2019-2020 school year.

Block scheduling is an alternate type of academic scheduling where not all classes are every day of the week. The schedule will still have six periods, but the classes will be divided throughout the week so that each class is longer. All odd-numbered periods will be on one day, while even-numbered periods will be on another day, with the two  schedules alternating every day.

However, school will still begin and end at the same time. “The time of school won’t change, and we’ll still start at 7:55 A.M. and end at 3:00 P.M., it’s just a matter of how the periods are broken up in those hours,” said Peterson.

Teachers are considering a block schedule because it potentially allows for students to have less homework and an allotted time for tutoring during the school day, called ‘Scorpion Success’. “It’s where each teacher has a small group of students, and they would be like a second counselor. It’s a home room but more than a home room,” said Ms. Ida Lange, head of the Little Scorps Day Care Program.

“The department chairs and the instructional team meet with Dr. Stephenson once a month, and as a whole we think that the current schedule is not a good service for our students,” said Lange.

Lange believes the current schedule is not the best opportunity for students since many are struggling to fit classes into their schedules. “I feel like I shouldn’t be penalizing students for taking what they want and school, with summer school, and I want the kids to be kids and for [them] to have a summer,” said Lange.

A suggestion to alternate between normal and block schedule was suggested. “A modified block is considered, where it’s not block all the five days, where we can have schedules alternating between normal six period schedules and the block schedules,” said Lange.

Some teachers are supportive of the proposed schedule. “As long as it’s good for the students, I think it’s a good idea,” said chemistry teacher Ms. Carla Davis.  She also described the teachers’ plan to add advisory classes to help guide students in their plans for the future.

“Any schedule change that can free up some stress on the kids’ shoulders is a good idea,” said Associate Principal Mr. Gary Peterson. He also mentioned that with longer periods, students can have more time to ask for help that does not interfere with their personal time.

The department and instructional teams are currently still in discussion to decide if the change can happen and what it would look like. “We’re just getting information, but it’s probably not going to happen this year,” said Davis.