Captain Marvel: a 90’s Revival

Captain Marvel: a 90’s Revival

Movie poster for Marvel's new origin film that focuses on the story of Captain Marvel.

LA Film School

LA Film School

LA Film School

Francis Siu, Staff Writer

Captain Marvel stars Brie Larson, American actress and filmmaker who was also featured in the 2017 adventure film, Kong: Skull Island.

Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Captain Marvel is the highest-grossing film of 2019 (so far). Released in theaters on March 8, 2019, this is the 21st film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, commonly abbreviated as the MCU.

The film is a standalone that introduces a super heroine who will play a prominent role in the next upcoming Marvel movie, Avengers: Endgame, which will be released in theaters on April 26, 2019.

Captain Marvel was featured in the end clip of Avengers: Infinity War, where Nick Fury was shown to be using a pager to communicate with an unknown character, later revealed to be Captain Marvel in released footage for the upcoming Avengers movie.

Samuel L. Jackson reprises his role as Nick Fury for the film. Filmmakers used digital de-aging technology to make the 70 year-old appear younger to fit with the setting. They removed around 25 years to allow for a more seamless transition for the actor.

With the film set in 1995, Marvel showcased their take on a ’90’s throwback movie,’ featuring many trends that relate to the era, such as the use of pagers, along with older technology and a Blockbuster, which grew popular in the 90’s.

Because this movie was set in a completely different time period, Captain Marvel presented Marvel the chance to give a backstory or explanation to how many things in the MCU are the way they are, such as why Nick Fury dons an eye patch and how Captain Marvel inspired Fury to name his program the ‘Avengers Initiative.’

This film could possibly be compared to Captain America: The First Avenger, which was released in 2011, mainly because like Captain Marvel, the setting took place in a different time period.

Walking into Edwards Movie Theater, I had high standards due to the large amount of advertisements that led up to the release date on every social media account I was active on. Even though I was not a “90’s kid,” this film still gave me a sense of nostalgia, which I have never experienced while watching a Marvel movie.

I found the humor to be surprisingly clever and amusing, including how Marvel managed to give solutions and backstories to how everything started. Overall, I did not have any bad opinions or thoughts on this movie, and I would give this film an 9 out of 10 because, in the end, it met my expectations.

Francis Siu, Staff Writer

Hey there! My name is Francis, but you can call me Francis and I'm a Junior here at Cam High. This is my first year in the Stinger and I am excited to...