PETA Faces Backlash Over Insulting Tweet

Anti-PETA protests drowned out PETA protests in Downtown Everret, Washington on September 10, 2011. PETA has drawn crticism due reports that surfaced on the amount of animals that the organization has chosen to euthanize.

myeverettnews.com

myeverettnews.com

myeverettnews.com

Jareth Primm, Staff Writer

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) posted a Tweet on Feb. 22, 2019 that condemned conversationalist and television personality Steve Irwin on what would have been his birthday.

The post read “#SteveIrwin was killed while harassing a ray; he dangled his baby while feeding a crocodile & wrestled wild animals who were minding their own business. Today’s sends a dangerous, fawning message. Wild animals are entitled to be left alone in their natural habitats.” Essentially, the organization is insulting and attacking a man who is unable to defend himself. However, others have stepped in to defend his name.

Many people have been on PETA’s tail over this event. The social vigilantes are not pleased about this, in fact, it has become a very popular meme. These social media accounts have been poking fun at PETA due to their poor decisions on social media.

Users also pulled facts and records from PETA’s documents that were found in the Commonwealth of Virginia’s records in order to expose the organization’s corruption.

For instance, the organization claims it’s intent is to protect animals for the preservation of wildlife and shut down abusive pounds around the United States. However, every year, PETA puts down around 1,000 animals that range from dogs, cats, and farm animals.

Dr. Daniel Kovich, an investigator with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), conducted an inspection of PETA’s animal shelter at its Virginia headquarters in July 2010. The PETA houses can barely be considered an animal shelter since they do not hold the animals for long. Kovich found that 245 of the 290 animals – 84 percent – were killed within 24 hours of being taken in.

In the organization’s mind, it would rather kill these animals than subject them to the torment of mankind. Ingrid Newkirk, the co-founder of PETA, said, “If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind.”

The PETA organization has been under fire ever since their Tweet that has brought out some dark facts about them. This has left PETA crippled and rushing to fix their social image.

Overall, the PETA organization has been a wolf in sheep’s clothing in the sense that it tries to act like it is good because it shuts down abusive shelters or get strays off the streets; however, PETA is a corrupt and unjust organization that is lashing out at people who do not deserve to be attacked.

Jareth Primm, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Jareth Primm. This is my first year as a writer so please be gentle.