A Recap of the DPRK-USA Hanoi Summit

A Recap of the DPRK-USA Hanoi Summit

President Donald Trump meets with North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un to discuss plans for the future.

Greg Oler, Staff Writer

The 2019 DPRK-USA (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea – United States of America) Hanoi Summit took place from Feb. 27 to 28, and marked the second official meeting between U.S. President Trump and DPRK Leader Kim Jong Un.

The first meeting between a president of the U.S. and the leader of North Korea happened on June 12, 2018 between President Donald Trump and Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un in what was coined as the “Singapore Summit” (DPRK-USA Singapore Summit).

Both meetings signified a potential introduction to a new age of friendly relations between the two countries.

In the most recent meeting, both Trump and Kim Jong Un agreed on a joint statement to begin a new era of more peaceful relations, the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, and prepare the documentation to officially end the Korean war.

On Feb. 8, 2019, Trump announced the plan for the next summit meeting between the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and the United States. “My representatives have just left North Korea after a very productive meeting and an agreed upon time and date for the second Summit with Kim Jong Un. It will take place in Hanoi, Vietnam, on Feb. 27 & 28. I look forward to seeing Chairman Kim & advancing the cause of peace!” said Trump.

Though many were skeptical about the truth in both peace and denuclearization efforts, the meeting itself was a development on the track of a peaceful future.

Trump said, “North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he won’t surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket – an Economic one!”

Trump’s ambition to solve the problem of the hermit kingdom is not a new goal for any American president, but Trump’s new method of diplomacy and talking has found some success. However, many were skeptical of the meeting, claiming it was words with little action; a feeling many were left with after the previous 2018 Singapore Summit.

Cam High’s Liberty in North Korea (LiNK) club, which focuses on fundraising money to support the parent organization of LiNK that funds the relocation of North Korean refugees into South Korea or the United States, showed little hope for the summit and any results. “I don’t really care, nothing is going to happen from [the summit]. It won’t change much for anyone” said Christopher Cha, senior at Cam High and a member of LiNK.

After the meeting, which ended with both leaders agreeing to respectfully finish talks, there was a formal dinner. Spectators and analysts still look forward to a third summit that would focus more on reinforcing and carrying out the promises announced in the first Singapore summit. Most do not believe Trump will end talks with North Korea.

Greg Oler, Writer

Hello, my name is Greg Oler, and I'm senior at Cam High. I am looking forward to studying Business Administration as a major and I love researching languages...