Semi-Formal Winter Dance Cancelled Due to Low Ticket Sales

Cam High’s Associated Student Body (ASB) planned to host a winter dance on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019, from 7 P.M. to 9 P.M., and the theme of the dance was “white-out”.

However, the dance was canceled due to low ticket sales. Jacob Curren, senior and ASB President, said, “Our presale tickets are a good way to gauge how many [tickets] we are going to be selling. We look for upwards of 100 to 200 [tickets]. We are also looking for guest sale tickets which is our most important gauge and we had zero guest ticket sales.” Only 41 tickets were sold prior to the dances cancellation.

Weak sales raised fears that the dance would not be profitable. Senior Carey Bash, ASB Treasurer, said, “We don’t want to lose money, the goal of any dance is to make a profit so we can continue to put on events for the school so we can help out the student culture.”

The dance was advertised two weeks before the day of the event. Announcements were presented in Cam High Connect, the morning bulletin, and the Cam High social media accounts. ASB tends to promote these dances well in advance to make sure that students are aware of it, but since the decision to have the dance was last minute, ASB did not have the normal amount of time they normally do.

The idea to have the dance was first discussed in a House of Reps meeting. The Representatives from each class expressed the student bodies interest in having a winter dance. Later, students voted on whether or not they would like the dance to be formal. ASB decided to do semi-formal based on the feedback they received.

ASB has been discussing the idea of doing a spring dance in the upcoming months. However, ASB needs to see initiative from the student body. They need students to commit to buying tickets in order to make a profit to hold future events. “The goal of these fundraisers and dances is so we can hopefully lower the cost of the senior nights and graduation,” said Bash.

Students that pre-purchased a ticket can get a refund from the ASB Accountant Clerk Ms. Tammy Boyle at any time.

Update: ASB dances are fundraisers for student events, not senior activities or graduation as those items the senior class pays for itself. Correction made by Pristera in comments.