Cam High’s Art Department Hosts “A Work in Progress” at the Camarillo Art Center

Cam High senior Christina Romero viewing artworks at the Camarillo Art Center on Jan. 19, 2019.

Karen Abdelmalek

Karen Abdelmalek

Karen Abdelmalek

Karen Abdelmalek, Staff Writer

Cam High’s art department hosted an art show, called “A Work in Progress,” that started during the weekend of Jan. 13, and continued through every Saturday and Sunday this month from 1:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. at the Camarillo Art Center.

“I wanted to focus on the work of students and show Cam High’s hidden talent,” said Ms. Abigail Santana, art teacher at Cam High. Santana feels it is her duty to inspire young artists in the area to express their feelings through art. “I rented the art center to help the kids but not to raise money, even though the art department needs it.”

Some students feel that art is a course that they are forced to take to meet the A-G requirements, but many students grow to appreciate the class. “I love art but the reason I took this class was to fulfill the requirements,” said Isabel Cox, junior.

Santana asked for student helpers to sign up for the art show. “I wanted to help Mrs. Santana, because this class is important to me and I enjoy seeing other people’s art,” said Christina Romero, a senior at Cam High. Art has been an important class for many of these students who use it for expression.

“I worked hard to put up the art and spread the word about this event. Luckily, many people from around Camarillo heard and they are very pleased by this show… I hope to make this an annual event,” said Santana.

The art show has been supported by the other art teachers at Cam High. Santana aims to have this art show as an annual event to “help these students with reaching their full potential and to inspire them to see everyday objects as pieces of art,” said Santana.

There is no entry fee, but donations are appreciated and will go towards the art department.

Karen Abdelmalek, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Karen Abdelmalek and I'm a junior at Cam High. I joined The Stinger this year to express my ideas and get to know my school more. I enjoy...