Cam High’s Varsity Basketball Team Breaks 40 Year Record

Ian Lattimer

Cam High Boys Basketball practicing at home on 12/4/2018.

Cam High’s varsity boys basketball team celebrated another victory in Burbank after defeating the Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies with a score of 111-27.

The game was the opening in the Burbank High School Tournament. During the game, Cam High scored 111 points, breaking a previous Cam High record of 108 points that had lasted for over 40 years. This is Cam High’s first time participating in the Burbank Tournament.

The 2018-19 season started on Nov. 15 when the team won against Alemany High School.

On Wednesday, Nov. 28, the team played against West Ranch High School in the Burbank Tournament Quarterfinals, ending with a 101-63 victory. Due to their victory over West Ranch, boys varsity advanced to the semi-finals of the tournament, playing Burbank High School on Friday, Nov. 30. Varsity won 85-68. The next day on Dec. 1, varsity played Campbell Hall School in the championship, winning 89-88 and also securing the title in the Burbank Tournament.

Boys varsity lost their first game this season to Sierra Canyon High School with a score of 90-59 on Dec. 3.

Senior Andrew Wetter said, “We have a great team chemistry. It’s been better than ever and what makes us different from every other sports team on campus or at other schools is that we’ve all known each other and played together for a long time, while other schools are full of transfers.”

Captain of the team and senior Jaime Jaquez Junior said, “This season has been different from others because we have a lot of seniors on the team and we’ve all been playing together at a young age.” Jaquez recently committed to the University of California, Los Angeles.

The team consists of mostly seniors and they are striving to make this season memorable. “The team this season is filled with senior leadership so they are looking to finish their last year on a high note,” said coach Michealtore Smith, who started coaching boys varsity basketball at Cam High in 2014. Currently, the varsity team is ranked eighth in the state and stands at 25 in the nation, according to MaxPreps.

Boys varsity will be playing against Damien High School on Dec. 8 at Cam High.