The Marching Scorpions’ Competitive Season Comes to a Close

Pictured from right to left:  Gabby Domingo, Adrian Wasylewski, Catherine Ibrahim, Nicholas Kuo, Courtney Ford, and Brianna Martinez

Pictured from right to left: Gabby Domingo, Adrian Wasylewski, Catherine Ibrahim, Nicholas Kuo, Courtney Ford, and Brianna Martinez

Karen Abdemalek

Karen Abdemalek

Karen Abdemalek

Lauren Peterson, Staff Writer

Cam High’s Marching Band recently finished their 2018 competition season after it was cut short due to the Hill Fire and Woolsey Fire.

This year, the show was titled “Sky Blue” and consisted of four lyrical movements about nature. The band’s season started well as they received higher scores and earned the Percussion Sweepstakes at the West Ranch Wildcat Classic on Oct. 20, 2018.

The marching band is led by co-band directors, Mr. Daniel Cook and Mr. Cameron Guerrero. This year’s drum majors are seniors Mauricio Castellanos and Ashley Williams, and assistant drum majors are juniors Kaylie Pritchard and Katelyn Raney.

Williams believes that marching band required hard work and responsibility. “Marching band has a lot of work time which includes practices and competitions along with the large amount of responsibility marching band comes with,” said Williams.

Marching band practiced on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday of each week for around three to four hours. On weekends, competitions lasted around 12-13 hours. Their practices entailed working on music as well as the field show.

The band integrated new changes that had a positive effect on this year’s marching season. These changes included an additional concert ensemble and a digital music Career Technical Education (CTE) course that allowed students to practice their musicality and musicianship. The band program hopes that their top two concert ensembles will participate in more of California’s band competitions.

Kolby Mitchell, freshman, plays the snare drum. “Marching Band works as a big picture of Cam High,” Mitchell said, “Everyone helps each other and works as a team, as well as the band director helps with the students a lot, which makes him someone to look up to.”

An obstacle the band faced was facility use since the band is required to share the football field with other sports. Funding remains an issue since the band is gaining new members each year and the program recently purchased new marching uniforms.

Kaya Hixson, a freshman, plays the bass drum and believes that marching band is a team sport. “In marching band, if one person doesn’t show, it will affect everyone. If we have one obstacle, it will affect everyone in marching band,” Hixson said.

Marching band is open to all students, with no tryout or prior musical experience required. Logan Villalobos, a senior at Cam High, plays the trumpet. “Joining marching band gives you a great way to make friends with the same hobbies and enjoyments as you,” Villalobos said, “Marching band pushes you to try something new and find your hidden hobby.”

Due to the recent wildfires, the band’s field season was cut short and they were unable to qualify for championships. The band is now practicing for the Camarillo Christmas Parade on Dec. 8, 2018.