Art From Scratch

Christina+Roa+%28left%29+and+Lauren+Ruiz+%28right%29+working+on+a+paper+mache+project+during+the+art+club+meeting+on+Dec.+12.+

Art From Scratch

Christina Roa (left) and Lauren Ruiz (right) working on a paper mache project during the art club meeting on Dec. 12.

Cassie Tran

Cassie Tran

Cassie Tran

Eric Burschinger, Staff Writer

Cam High’s new Art Club allows students to get in touch with their creative side.

Ms. Abigail Santana, the Art Club adviser, also teaches photography and visual arts at Cam High. Santana decided to start the club primarily to give her students an opportunity to practice and apply their artistic skills and talents. “[We are] going to come together and share our experiences with art, [and] teach each other different skills and techniques,” said Santana. 

A club with a focus on art has not been on campus in Santana’s 15 years of teaching, which is another reason why the club was founded.

“I wanted to meet some more people like me, and to promote the art community,” said Jessica Gomez, senior, and co-president of the Art Club. Gomez also looks forward to growing with the group and sharing ideas.

Santana said, “The goal for art club is to have a place for students who have a passion for art.” Santana plans on giving members creative freedom, and the meetings will be mostly student run. “I wanted the students to bring out whatever they feel their strengths are [and] come up with a mini lesson that they could teach the club,” said Santana.

Club member Makenzie Rollo, junior, said, “I joined because I really enjoy art.” Rollo said she is looking forward to expanding and improving upon her artistic abilities.

Members of the club will be able to attend field trips to local art museums. Santana also expressed an interest in ceramics and pottery as an activity to do with club members, who are currently working towards designing t-shirts for their club. The club is led by a seven person board including co-presidents Jessica Gomez and Kaela Anderson, and vice president Jessica Brola.

The club meets every Tuesdays at lunch in room C-9.

Eric Burschinger, Staff Writer

Hello! My name is Eric Burschinger, class of 2019. I am VP of Naturally Green, a highly active and award winning environmental club here at Cam High. I...