Have a Question? Visit the Principal’s Booth

Dr. Stephenson is seen giving advice to students in the quad.

Photo provided by: Dr. Stephenson

Dr. Stephenson is seen giving advice to students in the quad. Photo provided by: Dr. Stephenson

Edward Wang, Staff Writer

This school year, principal Dr. Kim Stephenson is becoming more involved in student life by setting up a “Principal’s Booth” around campus at least once a week.

The booth, modeled after Lucy’s Psychiatry Booth from the Peanuts, was constructed by Mr. Peter Wachtel and his wood-shop class. In the original comics strip by Charles M. Schulz, the young characters often talk to Lucy about their problems and Lucy offers advice in exchange for five cents.

Stephenson has stayed true to the cartoon in the design of the booth, but the major differences are the booth’s name– altered in order to reflect her duties — and the information she provides is free of charge.

Stephenson’s main motivation behind this project was to do something that would allow her to connect and communicate more with students. “She can now be more approachable, she will look more like an insider instead of an outsider instead of an administrator, she’s actually out there. She wants to talk to kids,” said Wachtel.

Jessica Shiflett, sophomore, said “I think it’s a nice way to connect to her students. I don’t really know her, like I’ve never seen her. Some people walk around school not knowing who the principal is.”

Despite the fact that the sign pinned on the booth says “Advice is marginal at best,” Stephenson often provides general information about Cam High. Stephenson said that students can talk to her about anything, from questions about the campus to discussion about life in general.

Max Volkan, junior, said, “It’s a good way for the principal to learn about students’ problems. It will give the administration the ability to relate more with the students.”

Stephenson has received questions from students regarding a wide range of subjects, including requests to have her sign dance forms, questions about how to start a club, how to set up StudentVue, advice about colleges, and where to find an off-campus pass. “[The questions] can be about anything, really,” said Stephenson.

Some students appreciate the gesture and like Stephenson’s idea.

Erik Hagen, sophomore, said, “She is our head of the school, so I do feel like we should see more of her. This is a nice way of trying to introduce herself to the masses instead of only talking to a singular student.”

The principal’s booth will occur during lunch time least once a week in random places throughout the campus.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Have a Question? Visit the Principal’s Booth”

1. Chun-Tzu Huang on October 8th, 2018 7:40 am

There has always seemed to be a barrier between administration and the students, and I’m excited to see that this is possibly changing!
    I think it’s also a good opportunity for people to practice “asking questions”. From my college experience thus far, I realized that asking questions, whether it’s for your academic needs or for hearing out someone else’s stories for references and support, is such an important thing to do.
    There is no stupid question (even if there is, I believe it’s intentional and for entertaining purposes)! And I hope this booth turns out to be a huge success.

2. Lelanie on October 17th, 2018 5:42 am

I really like how the highschool is reaching out with its students. Its very important to communicate with the school system because it can improve how you work and what to focus in by providing some direction and advice. Up until last year when I moved schools did I realize how “backwards” and “generally not a good school. ” it was making it a point that i was wasting my time. College research, career planning’ and people to really work with you to suggest programs best suited for what you will do after high school. So much of school like cam prepares students to just graduate and maybe advertise college without a clear idea what to even look for. What im trying to say it doesnt prepare students healthy methods to deal with life outside of school. But i love to see that the school is trying and how can i be upset about them. Change is hard and confusing. I can not stress enough that the students leaving Cam High are taking the right steps to get what that they want to do.

• Have a Question? Visit the Principal’s Booth

Entertainment

Theater Review: Into the Woods

events

Celebrating the Day of the Dead

Clubs & Organizations

Gay-Straight Alliance Club Promotes Acceptance and Individuality

Features

Scorpion Spotlight 27: Ms. Roberta Castro

Entertainment

A Review of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios

events

Your Vote Counts

Features

Scorps Spotlight 26: Tiffany Pak

clubs/programs

Cam High’s Mock Trial Team Introduces New Changes

clubs/programs

Cam High’s Little Scorps Return

Features

The Importance of Valuing Hispanic Heritage