Cam High’s Weekend Under the Stars

A rush of students wearing black, white, silver, and gold fill the bleachers of Cam High’s gymnasium and a buzz of excitement is felt among the students as they anticipate homecoming weekend.

Friday, Sept. 22:

12:00pm– Initiating the start of this weekend’s festivities was the annual homecoming rally, produced by Cam High’s ASB. The gym was decorated with balloons and posters to display this year’s homecoming theme, City Under the Stars. Evan Grossmann, ASB Spirit Director and senior, announced and directed festivities. DJ Kutz led the crowd in short and fun games like “Guess that Song.” After that, Cam High’s football players partnered with cheerleaders to perform a dance routine, a homecoming rally tradition. The names of the freshmen, sophomore, and junior princes and princesses and the senior king and queen nominees were announced and congratulated by their peers, as the rally came to a close. The students were encouraged to attend the rest of the weekend’s festivities, as they exited the gym to the beat provided by the band’s drumline.

[slideshow_deploy id=’65084′]

7:00pm– Cam High’s varsity football team won Friday’s homecoming game against Ventura with a final score of 42-21. “We play [Ventura] every year and it’s usually a pretty good game,” said Mr. Jack Willard, head coach of Cam High’s varsity football team.

Cam High started strong the first quarter of the game with two touchdowns and two field goals. They kept up the pace throughout the night with two extra touchdowns and one field goal, leaving Cam High victorious against Ventura at the end of the night. Cam High managed to intercept the ball three times throughout the game. “We played real well. Defense did what they needed to do to give our offense a chance to be successful,” said Willard.

Cam High’s student section, the Scorpion Cyclone, designated the theme for the night as “black-out” and many students showed up to the game in black clothing to show their support for the football players and show off their school spirit. Cam High’s cheerleading team put on a performance that got the crowd on their feet. They showed off their advanced tumbling skills and finished with a solid pyramid.

The Cyclone went wild in the stands during half-time when Cam High’s homecoming royalty took to the field. Freshman Prince Fletcher Gravel and Freshman Princess Xasha Francisco circled the track in a sheer black Corvette. Sophomore Prince Sergio Lopez and Sophomore Princess Sabrina Colon made their way around the field in the back of a dark grey Chevrolet El Camino. Junior Prince Jaime Jaquez and Junior Princess Ciera Muscarella toured the track in a handmade city-themed float (made that week by the Junior class cabinet) with a McDonald’s happy meal for each of them on a silver table. Senior Queen nominees Brooklyn Lewis and Marissa Hiji, and Senior King nominees Kevin Tran and Damian Medina roamed the track in the back of a deep red Ford pickup truck. Damian Medina and Marissa Hiji were announced and crowned Cam High’s 2017 Homecoming King and Queen. Fireworks filled the sky after another successful and eventful night at Cam High.

[slideshow_deploy id=’65116′]

Saturday,Sept. 23:

7:00pm-The homecoming dance commenced the following day in and behind the gym. Students entered through the gym, which was decorated for the theme of City Under the Stars. They passed by a photo booth and a city-scape outline created by ASB members. Outside, there were tables, chairs, heaters, and even an ice cream truck provided by Mr. Softee. The blacktop was covered by a dance floor and a canopy overhead. DJ Kutz played top hits and even took requests for songs from attendees. The dance ended at approximately 11 pm.