Homecoming: Not just a date

Elise Umetsu, junior, stepped outside of society’s norms by asking someone to homecoming herself, instead of waiting to be asked.

Under the pressure to “pair up” for homecoming season, many Cam High students put an extravagant effort into acquiring a date for the event; usually spending time and money on well thought out plans for the special ask. Originality has been no question for many who popped the question, from students making signs and posters to bringing T-shirts and sweets for their potential dates.

Rachel Maloy, sophomore, was asked to homecoming last Monday by Harrison Mello, also a sophomore. “He came to my house with a dozen pink roses and chocolates and he asked me to homecoming,” said Maloy.

Elise Umetsu, junior, surprised her close friend, Fisher Price, also a junior, to homecoming in quite an elaborate way. “For one of his cross country races I had made a big blow up poster of his head […] and put the “Fisher Price” logo underneath it because his name is Fisher Price,” said Umetsu. “I made an accompanying sign that said ‘Don’t Toy With Me, Homecoming?'”

Andrew Gambon, senior, spent two weeks and a total of twelve hours to make an origami rose and heart for his now homecoming date, Vanessa Tran, sophomore. “I was very nervous [about asking her],” he said.

Some students hold Cam High’s homecoming to high expectations, while some don’t know what to expect at all. “This is my first year, and I’m kind of nervous, but I’m also pretty excited about [homecoming] because I’m not sure how it’s going to go,” said Maloy.

“Well having never been to [homecoming], I probably have a more stereotypical romantic version of what it should be, but since it’s in our gym I don’t really know,” said Gambon.

For many students homecoming is a milestone and is deserving of grandiose plans. Things like party buses, limousines, and fancy dinners are a few things many  students do to make their homecoming night extra special and romantic. Cam High did ban party buses this year, however.

Umetsu said that she and a few other members of the GAPP program will plan a party bus for their German partners, who are visiting from their home schools in Bavaria and have yet to attend a traditional American dance. “I’m really excited that the Germans are going to be able to experience this too,” she said. “It’s awesome.”

“I’ve been to two years [of homecoming], it’s different every year,” said Umetsu. “I’m actually pretty excited about the Mardi Gras theme.”