In the End, Acceptance Wins

Photo By: Alex Rozbicki

In her final op-ed of the year, staff writer and Cam High freshman Athena Quddus argues that acceptance must win the day.

Since the dawn of time, humanity’s biggest obstacle has been discrimination. Intolerance throughout history has always built walls between different communities, whether it is for ethnicity, race, religion or sexuality.

African Americans suffered victimization in the US for hundreds of years. Antisemitism is ages old and continues to this day. Muslims are now all colored with the same broad “terrorist” brush.

“I’ve heard my fair share of terrorist jokes for being Muslim,” said Tausif Rahman, freshman at Newbury Park High School. “I think people say things like that as a sign of anger, a form of vengeance, or, in some way, to show superiority over another. But honestly, discrimination shouldn’t even be a thought in the modern day.”

As I recall my former middle school history teacher saying, “There’s always going to be that one group of people, in any given period of time, that’s most discriminated against.”

In the 21st century, that group seems to be the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community.

“There are so many restrictions in society, all these views, that were passed down from generation to generation implying that being different isn’t okay,” said Alyssa Brazil, Cam High senior.

Unfortunately, views that take generations to form will take generations to change.

Discrimination: different treatment or distinction in favor of or against a person based on the group or class that person belongs to rather than individual merit. The root of this problem [although many of us don’t like to admit it] is that not every person is taught free thinking; not taught to look at others without any judgments already made in mind.

“If only people could look at another individual as a person. Not their skin color, religion, who they like, or whatever else; but as another human being,” said Cam High freshman Morgan Middleton. “Essentially, we are all a collection of skin and bones, every one of us.”

Every society has its own moral (and physical) definition of what the perfect member of that society should be; but the reality is, nobody can perfectly fit that mold. All people are different from one another.

The human race is not a constellation of clones, but a diverse civilization; something that is sadly forgotten is that every single individual among the 7 billion of us on this planet is unique.

As for Cam High, tolerance is present because there is a degree of exposure. Many clubs and organizations on the Camarillo campus, from Gay-Straight Alliance to all the language clubs expose students to different cultures and lifestyles.

“Other than a few people who disagree with gay marriage, I’ve never really seen discrimination at Cam High. All the clubs really help to raise awareness to all the people who generally aren’t accepted,” said freshman Andrew MCcooey. “I guess most students here were taught that people are people, and to just be themselves.”