Stinger Becomes Award-Winning News Website in its Inaugural Year

Stinger staff members along with Mr. Mark Storer, Stinger adviser, and Dr. Kim Stephenson, Cam High associate principal, pose with their six awards at the Ventura County Star’s High School Journalism Competition on Thursday, May 22.

Cam High’s student news website, the Stinger, collected six awards on Thursday at the Ventura County Star’s High School Journalism Competition, garnering accolades in sports and feature photography, social media use, opinion writing and website design.

Casey Jacobsen, editor in chief, said he was proud of the staff. “We’ve tried our best throughout the year and we were in the running with the other top schools in the county. To come in second place for news website among all the other competition is really an honor. There are some great student newspapers in Ventura County.”

Stinger adviser Mr. Mark Storer said he too was proud. “There is nothing I love more than working with student journalism with the possible exception of doing journalism myself. I’m blessed to have such a wonderful staff this year.”

“I’m proud that we could make such a successful newspaper out of nothing,” said Kaelan Hale, Stinger managing editor. “We started before we even had the keys to the website and now, we’re in the running with all the other schools in the county.”

More than 400 student journalists from more than 20 schools garnered awards for news, opinion, sports and column writing, photography, design, graphics and social media use at the annual competition.

“It’s a real gift to be in the journalism business,” said Ventura County Star editor John Moore. “That you all work so hard and do such tremendous work is a real tribute to an important part of our community.”