Swimming Scorps Have New Home, New Attitude

The+boys+varsity+swim+team+dominated+Buena+High+School+at+the+first+ever+Cam+High+swim+meet+at+home.+

Photo By: Alex Rozbicki

The boys varsity swim team dominated Buena High School at the first ever Cam High swim meet at home.

The Scorpion boys varsity swim team upset the Bulldogs of Buena High School 97-73 in the first ever meet at the Adolfo Camarillo High School Scorpions Aquatic Center.

Cam High faced Buena in a head-to-head 42 event meet. This marked the first time that Cam High swimmers were able to have a swim meet outside Rio Mesa High School’s or the Pleasant Valley Recreation and Park District’s pools.

The Bulldogs came into the match boasting a series lead against the Scorpions with a history of success against Cam High’s team.

The first Varsity event was the 200 meter medley relays. Katy Galan, junior, Cailey Renken, freshman, Hazel Santos, junior, and Cheyanne Irigoyen, senior, won the first ever race for the Scorpions in the new pool with a time of 2:02.04.

Brennen Hauser, senior, won the boys 500 yard free style event for the Varsity team with a time of 5:12.68, adding six points to the team score.

In the boy’s varsity freestyle relays, Joseph Kim, junior, Dylan Specht, sophomore, George King, junior, and Timothy Lee, sophomore, took first place and earned Cam High eight points.

In the final score tallies, boys varsity walked away with 24 points. In the final events, girls varsity fell to the Bulldogs by a score of 97-73.

Both JV teams fell to Buena with the girls losing 105-49, and the boys 95-59.

“It felt nice to beat Buena in our home pool,” said Chet Hardy, senior.

“They [boys varsity team] seemed to feed off the exciting energy that was present,” said coach Kevin Buddhu about his team’s performance, “I’m very proud of the swimmers efforts and looking forward to the rest of the season.”

The Scorpions will now go to the Spartan Relays to take on multiple schools from Ventura County at Rio Mesa High School on March 7 at 2 pm.