Drama Goes on Auto Pilot

Danika+Elvine%2C+senior%2C+gets+her+face+painted+by+Pauline+Moraveck%2C+junior%2C+as+the+rest+of+Drama+prepares+for+the+final+dress+rehearsal.+

Photo by: James Schaap

Danika Elvine, senior, gets her face painted by Pauline Moraveck, junior, as the rest of Drama prepares for the final dress rehearsal.

Cam High’s drama department is about to break new ground. Starting Feb. 7, the thespians of D-2 will be putting on the first student-directed production in their history. 

“I’ve had nothing to do with it other than watch them work,” said Richard Winterstein, English and Drama teacher at Cam High. “This is entirely their show from auditions to production. I gave no advice and let them go.”

The production, The Brother’s Grimm Spectaculathon, is a collection of well known fairy tales by playwright Don Zolidis.

Two narrators will take the viewer through six parodies of Brother’s Grimm stories such as Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and many others.

The drama department undertook auditions for a little over a week to cast and double cast over 19 students. Ever since then, the actors cast have rehearsed before and after school, sometimes for hours at a time. They are now in their fourth week of production and are preparing for the premiere showings on Feb. 6, 7, and 8.

“First, we did the blocking in rehearsals, and from here on out it’s run-throughs for the entire one act play,” said Michael Griffin, senior.

“It’s a lot more stressful than I thought it would be,” said Stefanie Chordigian, the sophomore student Director of the production. “Everyone gets along fairly well. It’s been a growing process for all of us, but an enjoyable one as well.”

Chordigian hopes to eventually become a director for live and studio productions, and said her high school experience in drama is a perfect start for the career path.

Her favorite part of directing was seeing the new ideas that everyone adds in to the mix and watching the story piece together. “It’s amazing watching everyone working together helping each other nail down roles” said Jessica Brockway,  a senior who will be in the production as well.

“It’s all over the place, it’s very energetic and fun,” said Michael Griffin, senior, who plays the roles of God and the Devil.

In addition to the first-time student produced production, the department’s annual spring play is also in production.