Air-conditioning to be installed in L-wing

Photo by: Serena Sotelo

The L building reaches some of the highest temperatures on campus, with many classes relocating to other rooms on hot days.

After numerous complaints and calls for cooler learning environments, the L-wing will be the first non-portable building on Cam High’s campus to have air-conditioning installed, a project that is estimated to cost around $250,000.

The project’s funding originates from the Routine Restricted Maintenance Fund (RRMF), an annual allowance given to each school by the OUHSD. The RRMF will also be funding other district infrastructure projects, such as the installation of security camera systems and the repairment of bleachers, windows, roofing, and fences.

Mr. Steve Dickinson, assistant superintendent of administrative services and acting superintendent for the district, warned that the upgrading of the L-wing did not necessarily mean that all Cam High buildings would soon receive air-conditioning as well. “I’m supportive of it, but cautious,” he said. “I know that the students, staff, and parents will see this as the beginning of providing AC all across the district.”

The installation process is not scheduled to start for another couple of months, as Cam High’s staff is still deciding what air conditioning system to install, where all the equipment would go, and how the system would function. The facility staff is hoping to keep the specifications simple enough so that the air conditioning project will be done by spring of 2016.

Many students showed great enthusiasm about the L-wing’s upgrade, reflecting on how the heat has affected their ability to learn. “Some days it was very hard to focus,” said Jack Nubb, junior at Cam High. “We’d all just be sitting there wanting to go home. One day it got so hot I was close to passing out. I think we need AC in all classes as soon as possible.”

Some students also noticed a decline in the faculty’s productivity. “We would lose days of work just because of how exhausted all of us were, including most of my teachers,” said Liam Poulsen, freshman. “It was actually really shocking to me.”

“We’ve been doing everything we can as of right now,” said Mrs. Alexis Ortiz, associate principal. “Our main focus is to keep the students content, so they can do well and achieve what they need to as well as they can.”