Juniors Provided With a Free SAT by OUHSD

March 14, 2019

Juniors+took+the+SAT+on+Wednesday+March+6%2C+2019.+

Juniors took the SAT on Wednesday March 6, 2019.

All Juniors at Cam High had the opportunity to take the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) for free on Wednesday, Mar. 6.

The SAT is a standardized test used in the admission process for many U.S. colleges. The test has three sections — reading, writing, and math — and an optional essay which are meant to evaluate “a student’s academic skills,” according to the College Board.

Cam High’s staff put up a list on the cafeteria wall to direct students to the correct testing room. The key was released the morning of the test day. Junior Trevor Lopez said, “My zero period teacher showed my class the key for where our SAT testing rooms would be, but I noticed that many other people had problems because the key was released the morning of the test day.”

Oxnard Union High School District (OUHSD) prepared students for the SAT by giving freshmen and sophomores the PSAT, a preparation SAT made by the College Board.

Many OUHSD juniors took the SAT for the first time last Wednesday. Campus supervisors ensured that the testing rooms were free of noise until testing was complete.

Some students and staff feel like the SAT is not an accurate way to measure college-readiness and that there are other methods that should be used in college admissions.

Junior Cienna Ritz said, “The school has not well prepared me for the SAT. It is an important test that I feel like will impact the rest of my life. I feel like more thought should be put into college admissions. Interviewing would be a better idea because the SAT is just a score to determine whether schools want you or not. Though, I am very happy that the SAT was free.”

Mr. Kevin Buddhu, an English teacher at Cam High, said, “The main purpose for the SAT is to assess students, but I believe that the SAT only shows how good students are at taking tests. I understand its function, but I see the SAT as a symptom of a system that does not allow for the individual. Schools should use the Coalition for Equal Access; however it is very labor extensive.”

Scores for students who took the SAT March 6 will be available by March 29. Students who want to retake the SAT should register on the College Board website for a later date.