Final Thoughts

Photo by: Rhiannan Ruef

Students in Ms. Garcia’s French 2 class work on their online final in the language lab.

Pencils sharpened and at the ready. Late night study sessions in progress, cramming is always a last minute possibility. Prep books and study sheets in hand. As students enter through their classroom doors, it is official-finals have begun.

At Cam High, students can be involved in a variety of different finals outside of the normal math, English, science, and history finals. Cam High has a multitude of electives that have different and unique finals.

In Drama students had to preform a monologue in front of their class. Zachary Thatcher, junior, is performing a monologue that he liked from a play someone recommended. “I had some people look over [the monologue] and got some advice [before making my decision],” said Thatcher. Acting as Superman, Thatcher is performing a funny scene that he is hoping is humorous. “I made sure not to over prepare cause if you do, it sounds fake,” said Thatcher.

The preschool program is creating a project-like final depending on whether the student is in third or fourth period. “Both of theses classes have run the preschool [and] learned how to work with kids,” said preschool adviser Mrs. Ida Lange. The students will be given magazines and an infinite budget to create the perfect classroom. “Third period is focusing on the inside of the classroom, fourth is the same concept, but for outside,” said Lange.

Mrs. Martha Garcia’s French classes took their multiple choice finals last Tuesday the thirteenth. “I think it’s important for students to know [their grades] early so they can re-take something [to raise their grade].” On the students scheduled final day they were given a video project to create and must show the videos on finals day.

In contrast to the types of finals the elective classes are having, the general classes, such as English, have more traditional exams.

For example, Mr. William Falconer, the English 3 AP teacher, is having his students write an essay, complete a fifty-question multiple choice packet for AP test practice, and a reflective journal in their composition books.

“We’ve been writing all year, and we had just done a unit on persuasive essay writing.  They had been well prepared for the essay, and we had done three other fifty-question  packets. We had been writing in the composition books all year, so they knew what to do for that too,” said Falconer.

Because the freshmen are taking finals for the very first time, some were ambivalent towards taking their exams.

Jacqueline Le, freshmen, said, “Since it’s my first year taking finals, I feel absolutely nervous, but I’ve studied extremely hard for hours and hours. Even though I’ve never experienced this before, I’ve studied enough to know that I’m prepared for what comes ahead of me.”

Despite the fact that finals can “make or break your grade”, as Falconer said, some students are optimistic toward their finals.

Jaidyn Phillips, senior, said, “Finals aren’t typically as scary as they sound. As long as you keep up with the material and do your homework, you’re usually in a pretty good spot to do well. The worst thing about finals is the fact that we have to take tests at all, that’s never fun. But the best thing is definitely getting out of school early. I need that rest,”

Senior, Evelyn Pina, said her best studying device is “lots of flashcards” along with “trying to cram as much [material] as [she] can.”

Finals week began Wednesday, January 14 with periods five and six and continues Friday with periods two and four. The period one and three finals are today.