Rushin’ To Sign Up For Clubs

Photo by: Rhiannan Ruef

Chelsea DeVera, senior, advertises with handmade posters for Unicef during Club Rush.

Cam High’s quad became a hub bub of candy, flyers, and sign-up sheets as part of Cam High’s annual Club Rush on September 24.

Over forty clubs on campus set up tables to advertise and invite students to join their cause, whether it be future career matters, languages, community service opportunities, or simply common interests.

A band on campus, Zed, also performed on stage during the event.

“I really liked how packed and cheerful the crowd was, and enjoyed the upbeat music from the band that played,” said freshman Jacqueline Le. “It was super exciting because there were so many clubs to choose from, and I really liked how everyone was extremely enthusiastic about the club they represented.”

Senior and ASB member Ellie Young spearheaded the planning of Club Rush this year. “Me and two other girls, Alyssa Lopez and Jessica Chavez planned Club Rush. We allowed sign-ups for a few weeks leading up to it, created a map to give each club their own spot in the quad, and advertised it through Cam High Connect and morning announcements. We also got the band permission to perform.”

Most clubs, such as KIWIN’S, Robotics, and Save Our Sea Life spent time ensuring that their clubs would have an appealing display to draw in new members especially.

For instance, Jason Yoon, co-secretary of KIWIN’S, the third biggest club on campus, said that club members gathered all the awards they won at District Convention and had everybody wear their KIWIN’S shirts to “show off how cool they are.”

Siheon Jung, president of Cam High’s Robotics Team, said, “Basically, I made a lot of handouts and some power points, and brought the robots from last year and make sure they were working.”

Newer clubs, such as Martial Arts and Combative Enthusiasts (MACE) and Medical Interest Group, especially appreciated the opportunity to kick start their first year as an on-campus club and garner interest.

“I guess it has helped us compare ourselves to the more developed clubs to see how we can evolve and improve our own club,” said Jaidyn Phillips, president of Saving Lives Youth Force, another upcoming club.

“It was a lot of work, but I think it was a success,” said Young.